Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Irks and Dirks: Battlestar Galactica

It's April 1 and the tv world is about 3 days away from the premiere of the final season of Battlestar Galactica.  Of course, I am in a pickle seeing how I have only just finished the second season (omg, how good were the final episodes?), and I have the third season to plow through. 

In celebration of this event (What has my life come to that television has become an event?), I will talk about what irks and dirks me about BSG.  I couldn't find a word to rhyme with irks, and I really wanted this post to rhyme.  So let's pretend that dirks is the opposite of irk.  Now, I will talk about a bad thing and then a good thing about Battlestar Galactica.

IRKS

Let's pretend that in the future that the entire human population (pre-Cylon attack) was (will be?) 5 billion people.  That's an extremely conservative number since in the future there will be other planets that the human race have populated.  In Battlestar Galactica, around 50,000 humans survived the attack.  If you do the math, that's only 0.00001 % of the human race that survived.  Even less since my estimates are conservative.  

If the Cylons are so powerful, how could they not destroy this extremely small number of people.  More importantly, how can 50,000 (not all fighters, and some are children) fight off the Cylons enough to survive for months on the run?  This is the population of a town.  How can they be self-sufficient while on the run in outer space?  The show explained some things like how they get their fuel for the fleet, but I can't suspend my belief enough to explain how, basically, a town can run from advance machines who outnumber them by alot.

DIRKS

Just ranting.  But, Oh how glad I am to have found such a great show.  Action and Drama and Suspense.  Plus there is this whole theme of "the meaning of life" and "destiny and God".  When the show is at its best (the end of season 2), this theme combines with space action to give you the best television.  Better than anything on the broadcast networks.  But I'm glad this show is on cable.  It would have probably been cancelled like many other tv gems (Firefly, anyone?).

The acting is on point.  My favorite character is Dr. Baltar with Chief coming in a close second.

This post is getting too long and it's getting late (early?) so I'm going to have to end it.  But I'm planning on making another Irks and Dirks post soon on Battlestar Galactica.

Next Time on Irks and Dirks:  the death of some characters that I liked, awful love triangles, and more on my two favorite characters.

Now time for a Season 3 run!

Ciao!

No comments: