Monday, June 16, 2008

Mid-Summer Movie Madness

This summer is shaping up to be a great summer for movies. Here is a list of the movies I am looking forward to starting with releases in June 20.

June 20.

Get Smart - Steve Carrell is always hilarious and the premise of him being a secret agent is too hilarious. I can't stop laughing at the trailer when Carell gets burned by lasers. Dwayne "the rock" Johnson also is a strong action-comedy guy. And, of course, Anne Hathaway is beautiful eye-candy.


June 27.

Wall-E - I shouldn't have to explain why this is on the list. In fact, Wall-E should be a list on its own. It's a Pixar movie and that should suffice. Plus it's about a cute robot in space looking for love.

July 11.

(Yes, I am skipping Hancock. I'm a huge Will Smith fan, but this superhero thing looks tired.)

Hellboy 2 - I was not excited for the first Hellboy, but it turned out to be a decent popcorn movie. The second outing looks to improve with the director of Pan's Labyrinth on the helm. You can see the great visuals and atmosphere with all the monsters and demons that Guillermo adds to the mix.

July 18.

The Dark Knight - The sequel to possibly the greatest comic book (and just plain films in general) film, Batman Begins. Need I say more. Well, I will. It's a good thing that Wall E and The Dark Knight don't premiere on the same weekend or else I would be torn.

August 1.

The Mummy 3 - People can say what they want about sequels, but the mummy franchise has always been a solid popcorn flick. This time the setting has changed to China, which mixes it up a bit. I'm surpised that I'm a little bit excited for this one.

August 8.

The Pineapple Express - This is another Judd Apatow movie. I really liked Walk Hard despite it's poor reception, so I am actually looking forward to more of his stuff. Also, James Franco is actually a hilarious guy (see his Apatow-directed skits on Funny or Die (dot) com).

August 15.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars - It's Star Wars but completely in computer graphics. Looks like a fun diversion, but I would watch it for the action and possibly great visuals. Plus it's Star Wars, whether it's good or not, you have to see it.

Tropic Thunder - I seriously cannot wait for this movie. All you have to know is that a bunch of actors, who think they're in a movie, are put in a jungle in the middle of the war. Robert Downey, Jr. (Go, Iron Man!) who plays a white actor who gets surgery to look like a black guy for the "movie". Hilarity will ensue.



So those are my picks for this summer. For a more condensed list, I would recommend The Dark Knight, Wall E, and maybe even Tropic Thunder. Happy movie watching.

No comments: