Friday, May 02, 2008

Iron Man

I just saw a night-before showing of Iron Man (Woot, Woot!). As you can tell by my wooting, I really enjoyed the movie. Either that, or I just enjoyed going to see movies the night they are released. I actually didn't know they show movies the night before-- this wasn't a midnight screening like Spider-man 3, which by the way, I saw a year to this weekend before (Maybe, I'll make a habit of this every year).

Before I give a quick review of Iron Man, I just want to give everyone a heads up: I saw this movie by myself. There were other people in the theater, but I went to it alone. Judge me if you want to, but I just don't have the call-up-and-hang-out relationship going with peeps. Most of those peeps are either broke, working, or hundreds of miles away. So you see why I had to go "dolo". Also, I would like to apologize to any English majors and my brother, if they find my use of conjunctions to begin sentences appalling. It's a bad habit. But, what are you going to do? (On purpose, I did that.)

Iron Man has marked the beginning of the summer blockbuster season. Definitely kills Spider-man 3, but if you think about it, that's not too hard to accomplish. It had all the elements of a great popcorn flick: action, boy and girl flirting, uber effects, and of course comic relief. What you won't find are corny-ass one-liners (How many hyphens have I used so far?). Thank God, for that. Nothing ruins a movie more than those stupid quips. Just watch Catwoman. Actually, the sad thing is the puns in that movie were the least of its problems.

Robert Downey, Jr plays the billionaire playboy very well. He's a fast talker and should definitely give props to the writers. Kudos. It's good to see Ms. Paltrow in something that's not by Billy Shakespeare. She's back on my good list. Right next to Chris and the band.

Iron Man is just a comic book fan's dream come true. There are nice hints here and there that reference things in the comics (War-machine, anyone? That has to be one of my favorite scenes). You should wait until the end of the credits to get a nice bonus scene. In response to that, I hope they just make some sequels focusing on Stark/Iron Man, instead of adding more heroes and villains. Take a book from Spider-man 3: You CAN actually overdose on super-heroes and villains.

This movie is for everyone. Iron Man brings back the super-hero movie in a sea full of wannabes. It deserves a seat right next to Spider-man 1 and 2 and Batman Begins.

Next Stop: The Dark Knight.

No comments: