Saturday, May 03, 2008

Iron Man One and a Half

This is not really a second look at Iron Man. I do want to see it for a second time (only other movie I saw twice in theaters was Spider-man 2), but I just want to nitpick the movie some more. Now that I've had more time to think about it, Iron Man ranks up there with Spider-man 2. It doesn't surpass it for a couple of reasons.

The biggest reason is that the commercials, trailers, and advertisements pretty much spoiled all the scenes of the movie. Granted, it made Iron Man's trailers that much incredible, but at the expense of some wow factors during the actual. Yes, I was wowed a couple of times during the movie, but if the trailers and commercials would just have left some things out, I know this movie would have leap-frogged right over my favorites. Excellent trailers, though. It really made me hyped for this movie.

Another reason Iron Movie does not surpass Spider-man 2, is the fight scenes. I'm not going to spoil anything, but towards the end of the movie, I was hoping Iron Man would fight the baddies with excellent fight scenes. Look at SP 2, all those high flying acrobatics and hand to hand combat with Doc Ock were incredible. I could not believe my eyes, and this was with 2004 technology. Iron Man did impress with the graphics, but he didn't really fight much. Sure he used his repulsors and missiles here and there, but there was no build up. He should have charged up his cannons at one point and deliver a final blow to his enemy. Watch the movie and you'll see what I mean.

Iron Man is still the incredible summer movie to beat this year. I highly recommend it. If the sequel, which hopefully still focuses on Stark, has more combat and his demon-in-a-bottle struggles, I can see Iron Man 2 surpassing Spider-man 2.

Kudos.

No comments: