Monday, March 17, 2008

Score 1 for the Affleck Brothers

It's been a while, but I almost cried watching a movie. That almost-honor goes to Gone Baby Gone. I'm too young to know what it's like to lose a child, but I seriously almost cried watching. I closed my mouth and it felt like someone was gently nudging my eyeballs from inside my head. I felt the stinging sensation around my nose. Really powerful stuff. My kudos goes out to Casey Affleck and especially Ben Affleck. Though everyone else hated Jersey Girl, I think Ben deserves some credit. He is actually quite talented. So, Ben, I can't hate you anymore. Just don't get too smug just cause you made an awesome film. Giving the lead to your brother could have been a bad move, but Casey is also awesome. I just don't know if I ever want to go to Boston, ever; what with this movie and Departed totally killing the mood.

For the rest of the cast: kudos too. There's this one scene with Ed Harris which really got my hair up. So much conviction in his performance. I have to find some movies he's in on Netflix. Mr. Freeman was not utilized too much in this film, which is actually a good thing. Oftentimes, a film floods the scene with stars and detracts from the overall product. Again, pretty good choice in casting Casey. We should see more Casey in movies.

My mom watched Gone Baby Gone before I did. She sort of mentioned in passing how she wished movies had no "Eff this and Eff that" and violence. I guess it was in response to GBG. Well, mom, sorry that this movie was next in my queque, but the real world, which most movies are based on, has F bombs. Still Love ya, but I don't think I'll be renting The Notebook.

I'm starting to think I enjoy movies that deal with the ambiguity of the gray area of morality. Gone Baby Gone has violent moments, but it also is touching. You will almost cry.

No comments: