Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Let The Right One In, Part 2

I understand if you've read the novel Let The Right One In by John Lindqvist, who also penned the screenplay for the movie, but that's to be expected. I pretty much never enjoy movie adaptations of books I loved, so it's acceptable and understandable to hear negative reviews. However, I don't understand the critiques from people who just don't get it. There's no disputing taste.

What's great though is that Lindqvist did the screenplay too, so the vision of the movie still holds true, in some way, for the novelist. I don't plan on reading the novel because I already love the movie and want to keep the same interpretation that I had when I watched it.

I'm goint to say it again, best coming of age and love story. Made even more meaningful when you add the vampirism and somewhat pedophelia undertones. The fact that the reasons for the two characters being together is so open to interpretation, makes this movie so great. Definitely worth watching again. But to be honest, I only got the the pedo part after the fact (from reviews, it's apparantly a theme in the novel).

No comments: