Sunday, December 07, 2008

Reboot Heroes

This post has been a long time coming, so here goes: Heroes is horrible. Watching it now is an absolute chore because on the one hand I am a die-hard fan, I defended it after it's bad second volume, and even after several wonky episodes of this third season. But now, this show makes no sense and I care nothing for any of the characters.

Back in season 1, I like a handful of the characters. Each character felt trapped by their mundane lives, and realized that they had extraordinary abilities. Connected by some destiny that would only be realized at the end of the season, and you have yourself a great story. Forget even that it's a superhero story.

Season 2 was bad, but I use the word bad only because I have had the privilege of trudging through the third season. It's as if the first season and all it's back-stories and character development never happened. Now the characters are not acting like themselves, which would be acceptable if the show ran with this but Heroes' characters flip-flop so much that you'd think that they were puppets being played by first graders. No-- I actually remember classmates in first grade making better stories with our action figures.

I can't even list all the crap that pisses me off about Heroes now. I will pretend that season exists in a vacuum, in a world where everything past the last five minutes of the first season never occurred.

No comments: