Monday, December 31, 2007

Feels Like Summer All The Time

I just got back a couple of days ago from a family vacation to Orlando, Florida. We went there for the holidays to take in all the theme parks. Let me just say that I was not excited at first because I am a creature of habit and ritual. I like my Christmas served cold and in New York, so summer weather in Florida weirded me out.

Also, this was not just a family vacation in the dog days of December, but it was a vacation with a huge family: I got to see my cousins, aunts, uncles for a whole week. I love my family, but like most people's families, they're dysfunctional. I did not think I could survive a week in the hot December sun with clashing personalities. We're all family so you have to put up with shit just like they have to put up with yours. Don't get me wrong though, there are always good times to be had when you meet up with family, but being in a new setting during a landmark holiday adds some tension.

I realize now that I cannot live in warm weather areas because I enjoy the change in the seasons. I want my turkey to have orange and red and yellow leaves just as much as I want my Christmases immaculate (though, I can't remember the last time it snowed on December 25th).

And Oh how stressful this Christmas day was. I started off the day in the bad mood (I think I started out each day I was in Florida in a bad mood). Since the whole family was together, Mom wanted everyone to wear red for the day. Fine I could deal with that except I did not bring anything red on vacation. Oh wait, I did but it wasn't "red" enough (maroon?). So I was forced to wear this bright-ass shirt that did not fit me well. Merry Christmas!

Then we thought we could get into the Magic Kingdom at Disney. We waited in traffic for an hour (should've took 20 minutes) only to be turned away at the entrance because the park had reached capacity. So you're telling me that 1 o'clock in the afternoon on Christmas, Magic Kingdom would be full? No, way? Surely Floridians would find other ways to find a festive place to celebrate? Oh wait, this is Florida. And we were tourists who wake up late and take hours in the bathroom to get ready (that's my fault though). Merry Christmas!

Yay! So instead of celebating Christmas in New York, we're going to cram our asses into Universal Studios. It's festive enough right? Shrek 4-D and Twister and Jaws. Merry Christmas!

Of course I had to have a drink. One Marguerita, please.

No comments: